Written on Nov 6, 2020 2:07:33 PM
4 Tips for Hiring a Personal Injury Attorney to Help Win Your Case
In many personal injury cases, victims make the choice to seek out professional representation to improve their bodily injury claim and likelihood of receiving real compensation. There’s no arguing that professional legal attorneys can be an injury victim’s greatest asset in getting the financial compensation they need following an accident or injury.
However, finding the right personal injury attorney can often be tough. When seeking out professional legal representation for your injury claim, there are a few key things you can do that will make finding the right attorney simple.
Don’t risk losing everything by pursuing your personal injury case alone. Instead, consider our tips for hiring a personal injury lawyer so you can gain access to compensatory damages.
Tips for Hiring the Right Personal Injury Attorney
1. Identify What Personal Injury Specialities Fit Your Case Type
The first step in finding professional representation in your injury case is determining exactly what kind of attorney you’ll need. “Personal injury attorney” is a broad, generalized title. In fact, there are limitless specialities and unique case types in which these attorneys work best.
Some types of personal injury cases include:
- Workplace injury
- Motor vehicle accidents
- Wrongful death
- Products liability
- Medical malpractice
- Premises liability
For instance, a representative with extensive work in drunk driving cases would be less effective in a medical malpractice case than an attorney who specializes in that injury case type. The more experience an attorney has in case types like yours, the more beneficial their help will be.
While many law firms take an open approach to any kind of claim, it can be your safest bet to find an injury attorney with specialized work in cases similar to yours.
Once you’ve determined what kind of attorney is ideal for your unique case (car accident lawyer, neglect and abuse attorney, pedestrian accident lawyer, etc.), you’ll want to give careful consideration to the traits of an effective attorney. Finding the right representative is made easy when you know both what to look for and what to avoid.
When choosing a personal injury attorney to represent your case, be wary of firms that fail to return calls, give unrealistic compensation guarantees (or guarantees in general), are over-aggressive, or have poor client communication skills. These traits are directly related to how well your case will be handled. They can even ruin your case altogether.
Instead, seek out attorneys with quick responsiveness, who can effectively communicate and explain the legal process and only make realistic claims on your case’s behalf. Communication plays just as large a role as compassion in relationships between injury clients and their representatives.
Finding the best personal injury attorney for your case requires you to search for a representative who you feel comfortable working with closely who keeps your best interest in mind.
2. Make the Most of Free Personal Injury Lawyer Consultations
Free initial consultations are an injury victim’s most powerful tool when seeking professional representation and legal guidance for a bodily injury claim. These meetings are typically offered for free before any decisions are made on your claim, and the attorney can tell you most of what you need to know regarding your case, including how well it may perform in personal injury court.
During these consultations, it’s very important to find out what kind of payment plan, if any, the attorney offers. Generally, if they don’t offer payment under contingency, it is best to walk away.
Contingency pay is only rewarded to personal injury attorneys upon the successful representation of your claim. This means they don’t see a dime of your compensation until you do.
Here are some questions to ask a personal injury lawyer during your initial consultation:
- "How long do you think this case will last compared to other cases you've had like mine in the past?"
- "Has any disciplinary action been taken against you in the past? If so, why?"
- "Have you ever been suspended from a practice?"
- "Who will be working on my case if I choose your practice?"
- "How does your payment system work?"
- "What do you think your firm can bring my case? And how do you think your experience and education can help me see the compensation I deserve?"
3. Consider Positive and Negative Traits of Personal Injury Attorneys
When researching and talking to potential representation and attorneys, there are a number of telling characteristics to look out for. Knowing the positive and negative traits of your potential attorneys will help you make the best possible decision regarding the representation of your case.
Some traits of a reliable and effective injury attorney who can help you see success in your personal injury claim include:
- Legal expertise: They should demonstrate a thorough understanding of your case type. They should also have experience working with cases like yours.
- Communication: They have effective communication, active listening, and follow-up skills.
- Integrity: They should be forthright with all important matters surrounding your claim and have a realistic grasp on your injury claim.
- Attention to detail: Make sure they are in tune with your unique needs.
On the other end of the spectrum, be wary of any negative behaviors. Here are some behaviors and traits that are telling signs of poor legal representation:
- Lack of patience or erratic behavior: If they become agitated when you ask questions, they may not be the attorney for you.
- Poor communication: This includes phone calls and in-person interactions.
- A record of professional complaints: Check online reviews and forums.
- Unrealistic guarantees or promises regarding the success of your case or your compensation: Nothing is guaranteed, and they shouldn't make false promises.
- Requirement to pay for initial consultation: With honest and passionate attorneys, your initial consultation is free. This is so they can see if you even have a case or if they are able to represent you correctly.
4. Ensure They Have Experience With Personal Injury Cases Similar to Yours
When looking at your options for professional representation of your legal case, it’s important to consider an attorney’s past experiences with cases similar to yours. Using this data, you can make inferences as to how well an attorney will represent you in court. This increases your chances of receiving compensatory damages for your serious injury.
Hiring an accident lawyer with extensive work in cases like yours is often crucial for your claim’s success. Before your ever speak with an attorney, look into their past experience, education, certifications, and reputation.
Whatever your injury circumstances are, be sure to find a legal representative who not only meets your needs, but excels beyond them.
Moving Forward With A Personal Injury Attorney
Choosing to hire a personal injury attorney to represent your case is a big decision. But don’t let that intimidate you in your search for a knowledgeable attorney. Doing your research on injury lawyers before your consultation provides you with the necessary information you need to know to make the decision-making process simple.
Many attorneys offer free initial consultations, during which they assess your case to determine a plan and make inferences about how it will play out in court, if it reaches court.
Remember, consultations are non-binding, and they are the best way to find the right representation for your unique case.
If you or a loved one are looking for professional legal representation regarding your injury claim, and would like to learn more about receiving a free consultation for your case, contact us today.