For many Floridians, boating isn't just a hobby, it's a way of life! Unfortunately, there are many inexperienced boaters on the water, many tourists getting behind the wheel for the first time, and a lot of faulty rental boats and equipment. All of these factors can lead to boating accidents and injuries. Of course, the #1 cause of boating accidents? BUI (Boating Under the Influence).
If you've been injured in a boating accident, then let the experts go to work for you! The team at Lowman Law Firm cares about our Florida communities and offers a free consultation to everyone – and you never pay until we win your case.
Boating Accidents in Florida
One of the great things about the Sunshine State is the year-round boating. Unfortunately, Florida is also the #1 state for boating accidents. In 2019, there were 679 boating accidents, resulting in 62 deaths, 421 injuries, and more than $9 million in property damages. According to the U.S. Coast Guard, the leading factors in boat accidents are as follows:
- Alcohol consumption
- Operator inattention
- Operator inexperience
- Improper lookout
- Excessive speed
- Machinery failure
If you've been involved in a boating accident Lowman Law Firm's hometown legal team is here to help.
Who's at Fault in a Boat Accident?
In a boating accident, there are four scenarios where Florida law requires a boat captain to take action:
- Personal injuries requiring more than basic first-aid
- The disappearance of a person indicating death or injury
- Damage to property of $2,000 or more
In these scenarios, the boat captain must alert one of the following as soon as possible: Florida Fish & Wildlife Conservation Commission, the Sheriff of the county in which the accident occurred, or the Police Chief of the municipality in which the accident occurred. In Florida, it is also illegal for the captain of a vessel involved in an accident to leave the scene without giving all possible aid to the involved persons.
Of course, when an accident occurs, who's at fault isn't always clear. However, before you can proceed with a legal case to get compensation for injuries, a party must be identified as legally responsible for the boating accident injury or fatality. This may include:
- The captain of the boat you were injured on
- The captain of another boat or water vessel
- The boat manufacturer
- A boat rental company
- A repair shop responsible for work on the boat
Even if you were partially at fault for the accident, you may still be able to collect some compensation. Your best bet is to contact the experienced Florida boat accident lawyers at Lowman Law Firm. We will help you:
- Determine how to handle filing a claim based on the determination of what caused the boating accident.
- Understand the potential compensation you may receive for your injuries.
- Keep in contact with you during your case, providing your attorney's cell phone number so you can reach out directly anytime.
- Obtain all documentation available to support your injury case including medical bills and physician testimony.
- Collect any available evidence related to your accident, including any proof that the other party is at fault when possible.
- Defend your rights throughout the legal process, and we do not collect a fee unless you win!
Contact Lowman Law Firm, Your Dedicated Boat Accident Lawyers
Involved in a boating accident? First, make sure everyone is safe and out of harm's way. Then, contact the coast guard and seek medical attention. Next, contact Lowman Law Firm's boat accident attorneys. You can also text Joe anytime at 813-317-5927. Remember, the best time to speak to a lawyer is immediately after an accident!
Lowman Law Firm was built on compassion and customer service. We’ll never treat your case like a number because we care about the communities we work in:
- Citrus County: Beverly Hills, Crystal River, Floral City, Homosassa, Inverness, Lecanto
- Hernando County: Brooksville, Ridge Manor, Spring Hill, Spring Lake, Weeki Wachee
- Pasco County: Dade City, Land O’ Lakes, Lutz, Wesley Chapel, Zephyrhills
If you or a loved one has been the victim of a boating accident, we will be committed and invested in your case from your initial consultation until its resolution. As our client, you’ll also have our full attention, meeting in person with us or by calling, emailing, and texting.
With our combined experience and expertise, our entire law firm is committed to getting you the best possible results for your boating accident.