Written on Feb 3, 2016 3:00:00 PM
How to Select the Right Hernando County Personal Injury Lawyer
Topics: personal injury lawyer
Just as much as buying a car is a big decision, selecting the right lawyer for your accident case is also of grave importance.
There’s a lot at stake to consider--from ensuring your injuries are properly taken care of to compensation. You want to take the time and ask the right questions before jumping into an attorney-client relationship.
That said, the clock is ticking. Why?
Laws in Florida dictate you must receive medical treatment within 14 days of an accident to be eligible for PIP benefits (learn more about PIP here if you’re unfamiliar with the term).
So with knowing you have a small window of time to find the right Hernando County personal injury lawyer, let’s dive in.
The Right Credentials
After an accident you’re going to be confused and disoriented from the impact. To help you through this, you need to make a checklist of questions to ask an attorney. There are thousands of attorneys in Florida and many in Hernando County, so you have to get to the root of what makes them “right” for you.
A personal injury attorney should do the following for you:
- Evaluate your case and offer legal advice regarding your case up-front
- Offer a contingency fee in which you pay nothing until they recover money for you
- Take the time to both listen and answer your questions
- Facilitate that you get the proper medical treatment
- Visit you at your house or hospital for an initial consultation
- Not pressure you to hire them on the spot
- Be familiar with your area; this will help your case
On top of all these points, you need an experienced attorney that will fight for you. You need someone that is going to return your phone calls and be available to answer questions past the first day. Make sure you don’t settle for less when hiring an attorney in Hernando County.
Communication is Key
No one should have to be in the dark regarding their accident case. While recovering, you should have instant access to your attorney for regular status updates and important information. Doing so will not only help you keep peace of mind, but security and trust in your lawyer, as well.
Questions to Ask
As we mentioned earlier, there are some integral questions to ask following an accident. Here are a few as food for thought:
- Am I injured, and if so, do I need to go to the emergency room? (Make sure you address this before anything else)
- Do I have the other driver’s information?
- Has a police report been filed?
- Have pictures been taken of the accident scene?
Contact a Personal Injury Lawyer
Finding the right kind of attorney isn’t easy, but it is a significant step in the right direction. Make sure you choose the right balance of experience, compassion and communication to handle the insurance companies.
You still probably have questions, as one article is far from sufficient to cover an entire case from start to finish. We encourage you to subscribe to our blog or contact an experienced and compassionate attorney today to assist you with your case. This is no obligation, and will help you get the information you need.