Written on Oct 10, 2012 9:59:00 AM
Tips From An Auto Accident Lawyer
What To Do At The Scene Of An Automobile Accident
According to an auto accident lawyer, if you are involved in an automobile accident, there areseveral things you need to do. They are:
- Call 911 And Stay At The Scene Until Law Enforcement Arrives.
- Tend To The Injured.
- Get All Necessary Information.
- DO NOT ADMIT FAULT!
- Make Statements ONLY To Police.
- Get Medical Care
What follows is a step-by-step breakdown of what an auto accident lawyer recommends in case of wreck.
Auto Accident Lawyer Step 1: Stay At The Scene
If you are involved in an auto accident involving injury or property damage, stay at the accident scene until the police tell you that you can leave. Leaving the scene of an accident can result in driver's license sanctions and even criminal charges. Take the advice of an experienced auto accident lawyer: stay put, try to relax and be calm.
Auto Accident Lawyer Step 2: Tend To The Injured
This can be a little tricky. If you have a medical background, then you’ll have more knowledge about what to do. However, if there is a seriously injured person and they are laying on the ground, do not move them. By doing so, you risk injuring their neck, back, brain or vital organs. The party who contacts the police should tell the police that people are injured, if possible also providing the number of injured persons, so that enough emergency personnel respond to the scene. If you are on the roadway, turn your emergency signals on.
Auto Accident Lawyer Step 3: Get All Necessary Information
In any accident, your auto accident lawyer recommends getting the following information about:
Auto Accident Lawyer Tip: Know that if litigation results from the accident, you may have to share your notes with somebody that you are suing, or somebody who is suing you.
- The other driver: Name, address, driver's license number, insurance information, and license plate number.
- Witnesses: Name, address, and telephone number.
- Police officers: Ask the officer who investigates the accident to provide you with a business card, with the "incident number," so that you can obtain an accident report. The majority do this anyway.
- The location: You may wish to take notes about where the accident occurred, the road conditions, speed limits, traffic control devices, the weather, and the lighting.
- The accident: You may wish to take notes about how the accident occurred, such as the direction of travel of the vehicles involved in the accident, and what the cars were doing at the time of the collision.
Auto Accident Lawyer Step 4: Don’t Admit Fault
Very simply, do not do it. Do not incriminate yourself in any way. Make a neutral statement to the officer and let the investigation run its course. Then schedule a free consultation with an auto accident lawyer at Lowman Law Firm.
Auto Accident Lawyer Step 5: Seek Medical Attention
Florida is a “no-fault” insurance state and, as such, the policyholder's insurer will pay for their injuries and property damage regardless of who is found to be responsible for causing the accident. This is intended to keep traffic accident cases outside of courtrooms and avoid the excessive costs in order to determine responsibility for the collision and provide speedy compensation to those involved.
Personal Injury Protection (PIP) laws are changing. Your auto accident lawyer urges you to call a trusted attorney to help you get the benefits you deserve.
Contact Lowman Law Firm If You Have Been Involved In An Accident
If you were injured in an car accident, contact an experienced, knowledgeable auto accident lawyer who can navigate the twists and turns of Florida traffic law and litigation.