A Few Tips To Prevent Child Injuries
How Parents In Hernando County Can Help Prevent Injuries To Children and Minors
There are precious few thoughts more paralyzing to a parent than imagining their child injured. While getting hurt is just a part of growing up, it should not be surprising that many childhood injuries could have been prevented. This isn’t to say that because a child gets injured that it’s automatically a parent’s fault. That’s absurd and it is not what we are suggesting. However, experts agree that there are steps we can take as responsible parents to decrease the likelihood of harm.
- Do a thorough home inspection to avoid Brooksville trip and fall accidents. Every so often it’s a great idea to walk through your home and make sure there are no glaring or hidden dangers. Make sure all electrical cords are out of harm’s way to avoid a trip and fall accident and, if you have small children, be sure that electrical outlets are properly covered. Other things to check are smoke alarms. Make sure that they are properly maintained and are in working order. Secure all chemicals and all aerosols. If possible, keep them in a locked area away from small hands.
- Steer clear of Spring Hill car accidents and Brooksville automobile injuries by always properly and lawfully securing small children in an approved safety seat. Car accidents are the leading cause of death for children and minors. Therefore, it’s of the utmost importance to make sure that children of every age are properly tended to in a car with age-appropriate restraints and safety gear.
- Make sure your home’s windows are secured. You might be surprised to find out that many children are injured after falling out of a window. Securing your windows with child-proof locks or even bars or rails is a preventive measure we should all consider. It might also give you a break on your insurance as well.
- Have you heard of distracted driving? Most of us have. How about ‘distracted parenting?’ Being a parent is hard work. It isn’t always easy to focus on the task at hand while parenting and it often leads to distracted driving accidents here in Hernando County. It may sound obvious, but always try to get enough sleep and stay fit to ensure that you stay on top of the 24 hour job of being a parent.
- If you have a pool, always make sure that you take the necessary safety measures. Install a self-locking gate, cover it when it isn’t in use with an approved cover and consider implementing an alarm system in case an unsupervised child accidentally wanders into the pool area.
These ideas are a few rules of thumb to help remind all of the parents in Spring Hill, Brooksville and Hernando County of safety measures we can all employ to prevent injuries to children and minors.